[at-l] AT2004 Yahoo Group

> Here's the major complaint - from a variety of users - that AT-L has way
> too much volume and little content.
>
> Several new hikers have complained that they feel overwhelmed by getting
> on-line and then discovering 100 e-mails from AT-L and hardly one of them
> is of interest to the new hiker contemplating the AT thru-hike.

I'd suggest that if they'd ask the questions here, they will get more USEFUL
information than they ever thought was out there.  the key is to ask!

> Cases in point:  hunting, guns, snowmobiling, politics, diatribe on
> Wingfoot, and the other overwhelming subjects recently listed.

these are all valid AT issues.   They are just not welcome on THIS list.
There are other lists for those who like to rant and rave.

> These individuals are looking for quick references or discussion relevant
> to the long journey they are considering.

I have never seen any asked question that didn't get lots of useful
questions, they will get lots of "relevant" responses.

>HikersRUs and AT2004 are avenues for the inhibited to use to
> get what they need without feeling embarrassed.

these lists ARE avenues for people to express themselves without face
recognition.

I'd suggest that if they are embarrassed posting to this list they will be
embarrassed on ANY list.

> Instead of "diss-ing" the concept you guys should be welcoming it.

I wasn't "diss-ing" anything.  the free exchange of ideas is what makes this
country great.

I was just shining a light on the welcome mat.

> It will  help keep the constantly recurring questions to a minimum on AT-L
and
> displace it to a more appropriate forum.

that will be an issue with any established list.  as newbies come and go,
the same questions will come up.   It will happen to your lists as they
grow.  I personally don't mind repetitive questions.  sometimes you learn
something you missed the 1st time.  If it's a topic I know everything about,
I just delete the post.

> Likewise - anything that promotes
> positive activity regarding the AT should be applauded.

You seem a bit defensive.  I don't recall anyone attacking you or the other
list.

> AT-L but the list isn't for everybody.

nothing is.