[at-l] AT2004 Yahoo Group

Here's the major complaint - from a variety of users - that AT-L has way
too much volume and little content.

Several new hikers have complained that they feel overwhelmed by getting
on-line and then discovering 100 e-mails from AT-L and hardly one of them
is of interest to the new hiker contemplating the AT thru-hike.

Cases in point:  hunting, guns, snowmobiling, politics, diatribe on
Wingfoot, and the other overwhelming subjects recently listed.

These individuals are looking for quick references or discussion relevant
to the long journey they are considering.  As has been pointed out, it is
not sought to be "the ultimate resource" but a focal point for those in the
same category.  It has been a major bonding force for the class of 2003 and
the same could happen for 2004.  There is also evidence of peer pressure
types of influence inhibiting the newer hikers from posting their questions
on AT-L . . . HikersRUs and AT2004 are avenues for the inhibited to use to
get what they need without feeling embarrassed.

Instead of "diss-ing" the concept you guys should be welcoming it.  It will
help keep the constantly recurring questions to a minimum on AT-L and
displace it to a more appropriate forum.  Likewise - anything that promotes
positive activity regarding the AT should be applauded.

I, myself, continue to enjoy the wide variety of discussions going on on
AT-L but the list isn't for everybody.

Happy Trails!

Bushwacker