[ft-l] local hiking info: Ocala and Scouts

Gary,

A good starter hike for scouts (and adults) is to hike on the FT from
Juniper Springs to  Hidden Pond (or lake) and return.  It is almost exactly
5 miles north of Juniper, 10 mile roundtrip.  Easily completed in a day.

For a good overnighter, do the same hike but stay the night at Hidden Pond,
hike back the next day.  Hidden pond has alot of good campsites (don't camp
right at the spring-fed pond).  To get the scouts a 15 mile trip (for hiking
merit badge), have them hike the second day (before returning to Juniper)
with daypacks around the perimeter of the Juniper Prarie right next to
Hidden Pond.  It's about a 3 or 4 mile loop.  Leave heavy packs at basecamp
aroung Hidden Pond.  Use purifiers at Hidden Pond.  You can leave your
vehicles at Juniper for a $10 fee (well protected) and use the showers when
you return.

Another good hike is from Alexander Springs to LaNoChe BSA Camp, about 11
miles or so.  FT skirts the north edge of Winn-Dixie Scout Reservation.  You
can spend the night somewhere (good spots just north of the power lines) and
make a 2 day out of it.  You can leave a car at LaNoChe for free (with
reservations and tour permit suggested) and a car at Alexander ($10).

Use the 2 FTA maps for Ocala.  They're good.

I could send you a ho-made powerpoint map (or jpeg) of the Hidden Pond area
with good campsite locations.  Just let me know.

Happy Trails.
Mike Otten
IRC and BSA Troop 734 Palm Bay