[CDT-L] Re: Trespass on the CDT

Ms Helbling:

I wasn't going to write because this incident happened so long ago, but it's
been bothering me. We first heard about it while we were hiking the Pacific
Crest Trail this summer.  It irritated me then - and it still does.

I believe you've previously heard from both the CDT organizations regarding
the trespass on your property.  Well, we're not an organization - my wife
and I are just a couple who hiked the CDT in 1999.  We passed - and stopped
at your property in November 1999.  We spent some time trying to find
someone to ask about obtaining water from the stock tank, but found no one
there except your very beautiful - and very curious - horses.  We did take
some water from the faucet outside your house, but we DID NOT - and would
not under any circumstances enter your house.  We understand very well the
sense of loss and outrage when ones privacy is invaded like that.

All that being said, I would like to apologize for the rudeness and
inconsiderate behavior (not to mention illegal actions) of a hiker who
presumably should have known better.  We have met most of the 2000 CDT
hikers and Glen E. was not among those who finished the trail this  year,
nor do I know him from any other context.  Nor do I want to.

I have spent the last 6 years trying to educate long distance hikers about
the effect that their actions have on the communities they pass through and
the consequences of those actions for the generations of hikers who follow
them.  It angers me when hikers display the kind of ignorance and
inconsideration that are apparent in this instance.

I believe you realize that very few CDT hikers are as thoughtless and
inconsiderate as those involved in this incident.

I hope your year has gotten better and that you have a happy holiday.

Walk softly,
Jim & Ginny Owen
Spirit Eagle, AT-92, CDT-99, PCT-00