[at-l] pack list

Martha -
A couple suggestions -

>weight (in ozs)            item
>
>97                         pack - dana designs XS terraplane
>48 (approx.)               1/2 of tent - 2 person, I think it's from LLBean

Think about what you'll do if one of your partner drops out or if you decide
to separate.  A lot of partnerships dissolve on the Trail - for a lot of
reasons.
And  a 6# tent is a lot for tent for 1 person.

>32                         sleeping bag - FF Swallow, short w/stuff sack
>8                          ridge rest 3/4 length w/stuff sack
>14                         stove - MSR whisperlite w/wind screen, stuffsack
>                               matches, scour pad, repair kit, bandana
>                               & ziplocks

I'd dump the matches and take a couple lighters.  We use a Ziploc to store our
MSR Whisperlite.  The stuff sack is too heavy.

>16                         22 oz fuel bottle, full
>12 (approx.)               aluminum cookset (from the 70's! :) plus utensils

The only utensil you'll need is a spoon.  We use 1 pot, leave the cover at home
and use aluminum foil for a cover.

>70 (approx.)               2 qts water & nalgene bottles

You might want to add a water bag (4 oz).

>9  (approx.)               first aid kit (asprin, neosporin, chapstick,
>                               bandaids, moleskin, sunscreen(!!!!!)
>12 (approx.)               grooming & toilet kit
>5                          mini mag lite & extra batteries

Leave the extra batteries in your mail drops.  We don't use
flashlites much.

>1                          sewing kit
>2                          knife - swiss army tinker
>2                          compass
>.5                         whistle

I carried a whistle and compass for a while - then dumped them.
But it's personal preference - like everything else.

>3                          nylon cord
>36                         camera (Pentax K1000) & film (yeah, I know
>                               it's heavy but I want to try bringing it anyway)

HEAVY!!  There are some really good lightweight cameras out
there that can save you at least a pound.

>16 (approx.)               map, journal, guidebook
>7                          stuffed animal - lobster (see below for explanation)

I like it.

>88.5                       clothing      (see below)
>
>TOTAL
>29 lbs 15 oz
>

>clothing (in pack)
>
>8                          2 wool socks & poly pro liners
>2                          1 nylon shorts
>8                          underwear (sorry, I can't go without it! :)
>4                          1 coolmax t-shirts
>14.5                       midweight long underwear
>14                         fleece anorak
>2                          wool hat
>1                          polypro liner gloves
>9                          REI coated nylon rainpants
>14                         REI coated nylon rain jacket
>10                         sandals
>2                          credit card & money

You might want to add your drivers license, phone card, medical card.

>TOTAL
>88.5 oz
>5 lbs 8.5 ozs
>
>clothing (wearing)
>nylon shorts, coolmax t-shirt, underwear, wool socks & liners

You done good with the clothing list - that's one of the places where
most people overpack, but your list looks good.

Walk softly,
Jim