Re: [AT-L] Scouting ?!

> Hi, folks -
>
> Attended my first Girl Scout training session today. I hooked up with 'em to
> assist my sister-in-law, who needs a helper for taking the Brownies camping.
> She, along with my hubby, has never spent a night outdoors and is not
> comfortable in the woods.
>
> I was concerned when the leaders whipped out bow saws and showed us how to
> use 'em. "Isn't that against leave no trace ethics?" asked I...their reply
> was they cut wood and built fires on the Laurel Highlands Trail when taking
> troops through, but did not in areas where open fires were not allowed. I
> asked "why not just search for deadwood" and they said, yes, we use the bow
> saws for cutting deadwood, not green.
>
> Still, I thought the age of live fires on hiking trails was behind us. Maybe
> not, I guess. Your comments? I certainly don't agree with training the girls
> to build fires anywhere but approved campground campsites. Certainly not
> along a hiking trail. Just my $.02
>
> Sandy

Sandra,
   That reminds me of my first experience with the Boy
Scouts.....back in 1970.     Low impact techniques and restoration
of heavily camped areas were just starting to have a positive impact in
overused areas such as the White Mountains in New Hampshire.
Meanwhile, many scout groups were still of the hatchet-and-fire
mentality.   Scout jamborees would build huge obstacles courses
constructed from live trees cut nearby.   Big bonfires were standard.
It really turned me off from scouting.   Naturally, there were some
troops that adopted more responsible camping techniques, but by and
large, the training provided to scout leaders was limited or
hopelessly
outdated.
   As a result, I got involved with private camps in New Hampshire.
We were able to take youngsters into the mountains, teach them
low-impact techniques and still thoroughly enjoy the outdoor
experience.

Rick
  AT Wannabe 2021