Re: [AT-L] Re: [AT-L] Scouting ?!

On Sun, 22 Sep 1996 TrekkerEd@aol.com wrote:
> Now, building a campfire is a tradition that both Girl & Boy Scouts are
> required to learn. Making sure that you choose a site that is far off the
> trail, and not next to a water source. Clearing an area suitable for a fire
> ring is required. A fire ring is built out rocks layed out in a circle. Then
> clear an area outside the ring for safety.

It seems to me that rule number one in fire building should be to
build fires only in places that are already established for that
purpose.  There's almost always been a previously-used 'fire ring'
wherever I've camped.  Just say "No new fire rings."  :-)  Don't choose
a site that is "far off the trail" if that means creating a new fire
ring in the midst of the unspoiled woods...