Re: pack size?

On Fri, 16 Feb 1996, E. George Oeser wrote:
> I am currently looking at 2 packs, the Dana Designs Glacier and the
> Arc'teryx Bora 70, they both seem pretty comfortable (this is of course just
> in the store) and the Bora 70 is $50 less. What makes the decision tough is
> that Arc'teryx says their pack holds 4500 cu. inches and Dana says theirs
> holds 5500 cu. inches. I am afraid that if I go with the smaller pack it
> won't provide me with enough space, at the same time I also see this as
> being a benifit.
>
> E. George Oeser

One thing to keep in mind when comparing manufacturer's specs on volume
is that they all measure volume in different ways.  Some don't even
measure, they just use formulas to guess.  Many fill them up with a given
substance and then pour it out and measure the vol. of however much it
fit.  Using this method, vol. will vary according to the size of whatever
they were using.  For example - you will get a more accurate measurement
of volume using pistachios than beach balls because of all the empty
space between the beach balls that won't fill up.

I believe Dana uses ping-pong balls, Jandd uses some sort of small bean
(like lentils or something) for greater accuracy.  I would recommend
calling Arc Teryx customer service and asking them how they measure.

For what it's worth, I LOVE my Bora 40, and that is the old design, I
hear the new one is even better.

Good luck,

-jeff

Jeff Mosenkis,
University at Albany - Psych, Anthro, Judaic Studies

jm1360@cnsvax.albany.edu

"Welcome to the psychotherapy hotline.  If you are obsessive-compulsive,
please press '1' repeatedly.  If you are co-dependant, please have someone
else press '2' for you.  If you have multiple-personality disorder, please
press '4', '5', and '6'.  If you are paranoid, don't press anything, we know
where you are and what you want."