pack size?

I know this has probably been disscussed before, but my memory is somewhat
lacking so please bare with me.
I currently have an internal frame pack that has a capacity of 3500 cu.
inches, I have the feeling that this is a bit too small, and while this pack
is of reasonably good quality, I don't think that I would be too comfortable
carrying it for 2000 miles. So how big of a pack do most people carry? I
will be doing my thru-hike with a partner and therefore will be able to
split up the load somewhat, but I am thinking that I will need something
about 5000 cu. inches, does this sound reasonable? Oh, I am also skinny as
hell and not all that muscular so I refuse to carry more than 40lbs, and am
doing my best to work it down to more like 30lbs.
I am currently looking at 2 packs, the Dana Designs Glacier and the
Arc'teryx Bora 70, they both seem pretty comfortable (this is of course just
in the store) and the Bora 70 is $50 less. What makes the decision tough is
that Arc'teryx says their pack holds 4500 cu. inches and Dana says theirs
holds 5500 cu. inches. I am afraid that if I go with the smaller pack it
won't provide me with enough space, at the same time I also see this as
being a benifit.
So anyway I am hoping that the great cybergods of the AT can help me with my
decision :)

E. George Oeser