Re: Lightning on the AT

We were hiking north from Williamstown/North Adams, Mass. on a sticky
morning, and began a long but gradual ascent just as we heard the first
rumble of thunder.  It was raining when we reached the steep jumble of large
rocks near the top, already slick, and the storm was closing in, so we
retreated a bit and stood in the rain to wait.

It began to rain harder.  We got out the ground clothe and sat underneath
it for awhile, not the most comfortable of positions.  Finally we decided
to head back down to where we had seen a blue-blazed bad weather trail
branch off to the side.  Losing hard-earned elevation, we found the side
trail and started back up, this time around the side of the mountain and
the jumble of rocks.

It began to rain harder.

Just as we stepped out into the clearing at the top, a large flash of
lightning exploded around us -- so close it was like we were surrounded
by it, with no lag between the lightning and the thunder.  I panicked and
immediately pulled off my pack and its external frame.  I turned around
to see Sharon looking at me and, in my frightened state, grabbed her and
pushed her back down the trail and into the trees.  (I've since
apologized many times.  Besides, I was scared!)

We rushed back down the side trail, losing elevation again, until we
found some rocks that we decided to sit on for awhile.  Two different
rocks -- Sharon was still smarting from my having pushed her at the
summit.  It rained harder.  Finally, another large boom drove us all the way
back down the side trail and back down the AT, about a mile, to a campsite.

Where we ignominiously sat in the privy to wait out the storm.

It let up about an hour later, and thoroughly soaked and cold, we climbed
the mountain *again,* across the wet, slippery jumble of rocks, and onto the
summit.  Where we were promptly scared by a dog coming out of the brush,
owned by some people coming up the other side.

Lesson: the AT is hard enough, but more so when you climb the mountains
three times.

David