[at-l] RnR's *worthwhile* cell phone questions

Sloetoe <sloetoe@yahoo.com> wrote:
Just a quick note to say that while I am not well-read on the
current version of at-l cell phone mania threads, I find these
questions rather even-handed and answerable by honest hikers in
ways not-at-odds with RnR. (For those of you new to the list,
RnR and I are not chums.) I don't wish to encourage the
haranging or the trolling; I just want to encourage rational
discussion of {well, here it goes} the real purpose of the trail
and the real impact of technologies trail users employ in hiking
it.

Really, I'm sane.
sloenocellphonetoe

1) How do cell phones change the physical Trail? (ie
increased shuttle activity and cell phone induced access points)
Demographic: (Increased usage by cell phone lifeline types who
then skip the rest of what the Trail's about?)

Cell phones dont change the trail. Maybe cell towers might if they start getting placed everywhere. The physical trail remains unchanged otherwise.

2) How cell phones change the hike experience? (ie
being able to call out at any time, or knowing you can.) (Also,
how daily contact changes the extended feeling of remoteness.)

I do believe this changes the hike experience. There is a solitude that is not completely captured if you hike with a cell phone. It isn't enough to say, "well, I don't let it affect my hike." The fact is that in the recesses of your mind, you know the phone is there. You brought it for a reason. That reason has something to do with your peace of mind. Even if you brought it for what you consider someone else's peace of mind (spouse/parents/children/boss) you're mind is also put at ease by knowing that they aren't worrying about you, that they aren't going to rip your head off for not having it, or because they may call you at a low point and lift your spirits. There certainly is something that happens when you have to fend for yourself. If you are on your own and far enough away from civilization, you may have to make some decisions by yourself. For instance, if you were thinking about leaving the trail, alone you might give up. Your hike over, you would pack out of the wilderness
 and go home. However, with a cell phone inside your pack, you might call someone for some words of encouragement and end up staying on the trail. Now let's say you didn't have the cell phone, but mustered the courage to stay on the trail on your own. I think that would be a bit more rewarding (emphasis on I THINK). Now, let's say that you mustered the courage without calling home, but you had the phone. The phone would always be there saying, "hey if you ever need me, I'm right here," and that would most likely affect your hike. Mind you, this is all in your head and the degree to which it would affect you would be different than anyone else, but to say it wouldn't affect you at all I believe is false. There is a reason why phones are taken away from people when they are being taught survival skills and the like. There is a lot you won't learn if you have a life-line. Part of what you won't learn is what it's like to be without a life-line. To say that your hike isn't affected by it
 is to admit that you don't need it, so why carry it? If your answer is anything like, "to make it easier," "to call for pick up at a trail head," "to call my *insert title here*, "to use in case of emergency," by design you have affected your hike. Now whether you think this is positive or negative is another thing. The fact is that cells, radios, stoves, and a host of other things have the effect of denying you a more deep wilderness experience. This does not mean that you won't love it. In fact some people hate deep wilderness experiences. I don't see Paris Hilton enjoying even a simple hike unless it was down 5th Avenue to get to Saks, and even then she'd probably be complaining if she had to walk. Creature comforts give you some semblance of home. It's why we take them with us. Whether it's a book to read, a radio to listen to, a cool mini stove to make hot meals, even a spork for those tricky noodle soups, it's going to affect your hike.

3) How cell phone acceptance as a part of hiking gear
changes the whole attitude of how people perceive the AT from
the outside. Is the Trail seen as a truly wild place and
challenge at that point, or is it now tamed by quick
communications allowing quick outside contact with remote
sections of the Trail?

I'm not sure who is "outside" the AT. What group are talking about? People who want to hike the AT, but aren't actually on it? People who have just heard about the AT and are getting info on it? People that don't know about the AT and don't care?

4) And most importantly, how cell phone proliferation
by plain numbers leads to an inertia that displaces important
Trail concepts literally existing in writing in ATC's
Guidelines. "Disconnectedness" is literally written in plain
words in the guidelines. Explain to me how the overt
'connectedness' a cell phone provides jibes with this main Trail
goal?

I'll have to do this one some other time... I'm burnt out from that other question... lol