[at-l] RnR's *worthwhile* cell phone questions

At 01:41 PM 8/4/2005 -0400, Walt Daniels wrote:
>You left out the increased demand for more cell towers by people complaining
>that they couldn't make a connection from various places. These are an
>important contributor to loss of wilderness as most of them also have a road
>and a land line.

At last a point dealing with actual impact on nature as opposed to a
perceptual impact on wilderness.

I'm opposed to making cell reception available throughout all the natural
areas of the country. When I go to the woods I don't expect or want to get
reception everywhere and I doubt the demand for cell reception by hikers
from the backcountry is a sufficiently large market to entice providers to
go to the expense of building towers everywhere. That being said there is
already demand for towers on high points because that is where they get the
most coverage bang for their buck. 99.999% of the market driving that is,
well... driving, probably with a latte in their other hand.