[at-l] RnR's *worthwhile* cell phone questions

Speak for yourself. When you say it "affects YOUR hike" you assume that
what is true for you is true for everyone. You also imply that lack of
consideration for the feelings of loved ones is important to  feeling
disconnected. If you said that being inconsiderate of other hikers in the
way you use a CF, I'd be right there with you. It is ironic that you defend
being inconsiderate to loved ones but (I assume) would not defend
inconsiderate behavior toward strangers who happened to be in close
proximity. This argument ends up saying that virtually every piece of gear
we carry is a barrier between us and a deep wilderness experience.

That all depends on your definition of wilderness and the definition of a
deep wilderness experience. As Shane has pointed out wilderness is a human
concept. It's definition varies according to the society and even the
individual. At one time in England an unkept area of a garden was referred
to as a wilderness. In colonial America it was something to be feared and
conquered. Shane says he goes out not to confront 'wilderness' but to be a
natural human in nature. I tend toward the same idea though I use different
words because to me 'wilderness' implies that humans don't belong there. I
see myself as a natural creature, as much a part of the natural world as
any other animal or as it says in the Desiderata, I am "a child of the
universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you (I) have a right to be
here."

As for an admission that I don't *need* it, the truth is I don't *need*
anything with me to go to the woods. I could drink from streams and pools.
I could eat berries and roots. I could kill a deer and wrap myself in the
hide. I could choose to freeze or starve to death. There's a genuine
'wilderness' experience for you that happens to our fellow creatures on a
daily basis. Or I could turn around and go home before I was in danger of
that. So which is of more value? Which allows for greater depth of
experience? Carrying those things that allow one to feel sufficiently safe
to remain in the natural world or deliberately putting one's self at risk
so that there is temptation to go home?

The implication of the statement that sparked this debate was that the
presence of a CF not only 'affected' the hike but did so in a negative way,
preventing the hiker from achieving a 'quality' experience. The problem I
have with that notion is the assumptions that underlie it:
    * That everyone views the natural world in terms of 'wilderness'
    * That everyone carries a CF for similar reasons and regards it as a
crutch
    * That a CF, to a greater extent than say a tent or sleeping bag, will
insulate the hiker from nature, thus its mere presence is a bad thing
relative to having 'a wilderness experience'.
My point has been to challenge those assumptions which I regard as untrue.