[at-l] Cell Phones, yet again

At 08:28 PM 4/16/2005 -0400, W F Thorneloe wrote:
>Cell phones have been a hot topic in every venue where they might be used.
>There are places where their use is a safety concern - such as hospital
>telemetry units. There are places where their use is rude to all in the
>venue - theaters, plays, restaurants, social clubs and the like.

Can anyone explain to me why so many people feel they have to talk LOUDLY
when using a cell phone? I recall an occasion in my wife's favorite
restaurant. A woman all the way across the dining room answered a call and
proceeded to talk so loudly that we could hear every word at our table. At
the end of the call she resumed a normal tone with her table companion and
we could hear none of what she said.