[at-l] Re: (no subject)

At 12:53 PM 4/13/2005 -0400, Bob C wrote:
> >"...Don't know very much about this topic, do you?"
>
>Actually, TJ, I know quite a bit, but not everything. I was responding to
>messages that had talked about "mimeographed" sheets and quickly morphed
>into claiming Wingfoot as an ATC volunteer did little more than add prices
>to what had gone before. I thought the sequence might be confusing to some
>listers so I pointed out some facts, as opposed to quoting things that
>were "reportedly" said.
>
>Most long distance hikers I've heard comment, as I said before, seem to
>think Wingfoot's continued efforts are more accurate and valuable than the
>Companion, though personally I find the Companion adequate for my routine
>needs, which is why I have only the 91, 93 and 2003 editions of the
>Thru-Hiker's Handbook. I would, however, purchase an updated version
>should I decide to do another long distance hike on a portion of the trail
>that I was not familiar with.
>
>You need to remember, TJ, that most people have an occasional redeeming
>feature, even Wingfoot. YMMV.
>
>Weary

Weary thinks Wingfoot's handbook is better because "Most long distance
hikers I've heard comment,... seem to think Wingfoot's continued efforts
are more accurate and valuable than the Companion".

The truth is we don't know which sells more or which is more accurate or
which is more "valuable" to any given hiker since that is all highly
subjective. I doubt Weary regularly meets the majority of thru-hikers every
year. I also doubt that the thru-hikers he does meet checked every listing
in both for accuracy and being human probably tend to remember errors more
than accurate information. The relative value of the information and the
way it is presented is subjective beyond any possible analysis.

For the newbees benefit be it known that there are three books you may wish
to consider carrying:
The ATC "Databook" <http://www.atctrailstore.org/>
The Companion" also <http://www.atctrailstore.org/>
"The Thru-hiker's Handbook"
<http://www.trailplace.com/portal/display.php?page=handbook>

The "Databook" is primarily point-to-point mileages from North to South (if
hiking S>N you read it backwards) with code notations on such facilities as
shelters, water (or lack thereof), Post Offices, groceries, etc. If you are
a member of ATC (highly recommended) the book is cheaper than for
non-members. Either way (member or not) your purchase helps support the AT.

The "Companion" is compiled by volunteers from ALDHA
<http://www.aldha.org/>. It has mileages between shelters S>N and more
detailed information and some maps of trail towns showing the locations of
the facilities described. It can be had for free (digital version which you
must print out yourself unless you plan to take your computer on your hike)
or in print from ATC's Ultimate Trailstore (see above) where, like the
Databook, it is cheaper if you are a member of ATC. Also ditto on support
for the AT resulting from purchase.

The "Thru-hiker's Handbook" is a South to North guide combining the mileage
of the Databook and more detailed facility information a' la Companion. The
Handbook may be purchased directly from Dan Bruce AKA Wingfoot at the URL
above. There are no discounts. His is not a NFP organization so there are
no 'memberships' to be had and no direct support for the trail in terms of
oversight or maintenance results from your purchase.

As you have undoubtedly surmised by now there is considerable disagreement
over the relative merits of the Databook/Companion option VS Dan Bruce's
"Handbook". In truth you could probably hike the entire AT with no guide
book. Just follow the white blazes and leave the rest to your sense of
adventure. It has been done that way successfully in the past and probably
will again.