[at-l] Re: (no subject)

Actually, Jim, my popularity data comes mostly from WhiteBlaze, which surprises me with the vehemence with which the majority seem to hate Wingfoot, and the strength of their endorsements of his Thru-Hikers Handbook. But I do occasionally meet thru hikers on the trail in Maine and elsewhere and occasionally I chat with them about the trail books they carry.

However, I'm not sure sales figures would really tell us which is the better book. The Companion is sold through the ATC, and many stores -- including my local book store. Since Wingfoot abandoned the sales potential of ATC and went to an expensive "print on demand" system, very few book stores or trail suppliers carry it. That restricts most sales to those who open his quite tiny web site, or hear about it through word of mouth.

Weary