[at-l] AMC hut altermatives

Hello all!
I hope this email finds everyone doing well!  I have been trying to follow
the threads on "The AMC and its Spending" and "NFP CEO pay,"  and now I am a
bit confused.  When hiking in the Whites is my only option for shelter to
pay $68 a night for an AMC hut, or are there cheaper/free alternatives like
dispersed camping or other non-caretaker equipt shelters?  I have looked
through the "Thru-hikers Companion" and it seems rather nebulus on this
topic.  If  this has already been discussed I apologize.

Blue skies,
Neysa
100 days till Mt. Katahdin