[at-l] The AMC and its Spending

I've been following the recent discussion about the AMC, about its CEO, his
level of compensation, etc.

I do not profess to be an expert on such things, but I can do simple math.

The head of the AMC makes close to $200,000 a year ( I think the last tax
form I saw listed the figure $186,000 but that was several years ago.  For
all I know, it's more today).

This means that when they charge folks $65 bucks a night to sleep in one of
their faux-European mountain chalets, revenue gleaned from the first 2,800
guests every year serves NO other purpose than to pay the salary for one
individual.

2800 is a big number.

So is 186,000.

I am very curious as to what the other executives of the AMC earn every
year; likewise I'm wondering what it costs to maintain the present Hut
system, i.e., what does it cost in terms of maintenace, salaries, insurance,
advertising, etc. to keep this anachronistic system going?  Also, what is
the revenue earned each year from this system?  Lastly, what is the present
assessed value of the AMC headquarters at Joy St. in Boston, which happens
to be located in the center of the most expensive bit of real estate in the
city?

I'd love to know the answers to these questions, but you better believe the
AMC isn't interested in talking about it.  Ever.

In any case, 2800 overnight guests to pay the salary of just one guy.

I, for one, am glad I am no longer a member,  and long ago decided to give
my annual membership dues to other organizations.

I note that several folks commented that the AMC's members seem to be happy
with their operations.  Funny thing.  Their mission statement refers to the
wise stewardship of the backcountry, to its care and its preservation.

Nowhere in the mission statement do they address the issue of keeping their
members happy, and their adminstrators so well provided for.

Am I the only one who think they've lost track of their priorities?