[at-l] Stoves - My Two Cents Worth

Orange Bug gave some good info, here is my 2 cents worth:

1)  If you are gonna be in cold weather, and having the ability to boil
hot water [not simmer a 5-course meal, mind you] is critical, then I
still think a white gas/multi-fuel stove like the MSR Whisperlite
Internationale, or the new Optimus Nova, are your best bet.  While most
of an AT thru-hike does not involve too many days/nights of extreme
cold, there can be some real winter storm doozies, and with either of
these stoves, you will have a companion for many decades . . . [I still
have and use my original MSR stove, purchased in the late 1970's].  The
outrigger setup of these two stoves makes them incredibly stable, you
can use foil windscreens very effectively, and white gas is the easiest
fuel to find on the Trail.  Also, both of these stoves can burn just
about anything else, including regular auto gas, kerosene, and the Nova
will supposedly even burn diesel fuel.  Also, if you do run out of fuel
with one of these units on the AT, you almost certainly will find
someone willing to lend you an oz or two of fuel to get you by.  I also
think these stoves are easier to shield from strong winds than any other
stove type.  You should count on about one pound total weight, without
fuel, for these stoves.

2)  The canister stoves have gotten better and lighter, but are less
stable than the above described stoves.  As Orange Bug noted, the
cansisters won't work until warmed up a bit if the temps are REALLY
cold.  For weight bang per BTU, these are hard to beat - the stove
itself can weigh as little as 3 oz., and the canisters weigh the same or
less than a fuel bottle full of white gas.  I think these are great
stoves to use on the AT, and you can help insure a steady fuel supply by
using mail drops to cover areas where you are not sure you can buy a
replacement canister.  While it may not be legal to mail these things
thru the U.S. Mail, people do it all the time, and how in the heck do
you think they get to the stores where you buy them - by UPS and U.S.
Mail package delivery, of course!  These stoves definitely simmer much
better than most white gas stoves, though I hear the Optimus Nova
[mentioned above] has a great simmer setting.  Since they sit up a bit
higher, these stoves are a bit more difficult to shield from strong
winds.  As noted above, total weight, without fuel, can be as low as
three ounces, and these stoves are somewhat easier and safer to use than
the white gas stoves.

3)  I've not used it, but I think the zip stove is a pretty good choice,
too . . . although finding the wood you need when there are two feet of
snow on the ground in the Smokies can be a bit of a challenge, and you
do have the potential reliability issue with a fan motor/battery.  You
also will get soot on your pot, but that is no big deal.  These stoves
do put out good heat as long as wind shielded, but wind shielding is
critical for ANY stove, and I think taking a piece of heavy duty foil,
like that provided with the MSR stoves, would do wonders for a zip
stove.  Needless to say, you have no fuel issues here, and none of the
potential safety concerns inherent with the use of white gas or
compressed gas canisters.  I plan to try and buy a zip stove soon to see
for myself how it performs.  The stove itself weighs about one pound,
but there is zero fuel weight, and those who consider such things can
also take comfort in the fact that they are not buying any oil-industry
based fuel [but, let's be real - think of all the petroleum based fuels
you use in other ways for a thru-hike, from all the plastics/nylons, to
all those trips in cars, trains, planes, buses, etc.]

4)  I've also not used an alcohol stove, but from afar would think that
they are incredibly light, with less fuel weight than all but the zip
stove, and with reasonable heating capability.  They can be made at
home, but probably have a bit of a learning curve, after which using
them likely would be as easy as any of the others.  You need to make
your own stove stand, so stability is likely to be "variable."  I would
think one of the foil windscreens would work very well.  Needless to
say, there is only one heat setting, though you can cut out a metal can
bottom or top to use as a heat diffuser [that also works with any of the
above stoves, too].  Alcohol is being carried by more and more places
near the AT, but is not as easiler found as most other fuels.

Hope all this is of some use!

thru-thinker