[at-l] Stoves

Hey there

I just went through this struggle when I was planning for last year. It
turns out that the canisters are available along the trail. I used a Primus
propane/butane stove and never really had a problem with getting
replacements. Strangely, the section where it was the biggest pain was
going into Glencliff, NH to Franconia Notch. Nothing seemed to be open or
be near the trail.

I usually carried the Medium sized canister, with perhaps a small one as
well every once in a while if the medium was half full leaving town. And,
incidentally, I was hiking with a woman I met along the trail, and she was
using an alchohol stove. While it was easy to carry, and the alchohol was
readily available everywhere (esp. at places like hostels), you can't beat
a canister stove for ease of use. So we actually used mine many times, esp.
if we were doing anything more complicated than boiling water. The canister
stove's controls make it great for cooking (since you can simmer and cook
over low heat, something not possible easily on an alchohol stove).

Good luck. It's a great adventure.

Rover
GA > ME 02