[at-l] Stoves

Thank you for a real live gear question! You might find a nearly
religious zealotry of opinions regarding stoves, but at least it is
connected to real live hiking on the real live AT.

The Sierra Zip Stove is a nice item, using bits of debris for fuel but
requires batteries to keep the air moving. This could be a problem in
very cold conditions, but I've not heard of horror stories of that in
the real world.

The alcohol stove (you can go much cheaper with soda/catfood can
stoves) work quite well, although you might have to be resourceful in
obtaining fuel. The cooler flame may not be hot enough for cooking in
extreme cold weather of February thru March in NOGA and NC.

Canister fuels have problems in severe cold as the fuel may not
evaporate. Keeping the canister warm inside your shell may help. Once
lit, they make very good heat. I've personally used it in shelters in
the Smokies during sub-zero weather. They are all similar with
interchangeable cartridges, at least among the same fuel types. You
will find cartridges near the AT in the usual places for resupply, but
it is reasonable to carry two of them at all times.

Bill...