[at-l] Forest Service Staffer Started Forest Fire

At 06:20 PM 6/17/2002 -0500, kahley wrote:

>I  still don't buy the letter bit in the first place.  You can burn a letter
>in an ashtray..in a sink....in a bucket...in the middle of a road fer
>pete's sake.  Waiting til you are in tinder dry woods and then
>leaving it to smoulder (by the way...I burned a piece of paper today,
>actually three pieces of paper in case he was really p*ssed off,
>to see what happened.  They pretty much burned right up leaving
>nothing to "smoulder".  IMHO..that dog don't hunt 'cept
>if yer huntin' for a lighter sentence.

I say you're wrong, based on personal experience.

Countless large fires have been started when people walked
away from campfires that they thought were out.

When I was an adolescent, my best friend and I camped in
a tent in a field behind his house.  Long story short, the tent
and the field went up in flames one afternoon while we were
far away, almost certainly due to our camp fire, which we boys
both were quite sure was out.

Cripes, I can't believe the extent of the wrath being directed at this
poor woman in Colorado.  Are you folks Christians, or what?
She is going to have to live with this for the rest of her life.
That's punishment enough, I'd think.  As far as I know, nobody
has died.

rafe b.
aka terrapin