[at-l] Hammocks & Weight (was: Gear: Shelter plans for NJ next week)

Hi all,

OrangeBug's discussion about the weight penalty of the hammocks tickled
something that I've been thinking about for a while.  I'm really tempted
to get a backpacking hammock (probably the Hennessey Safari Ultralight
given my height).  I've been using a tarp for some time now, and have
been pretty happy with it, but I love being able to get off the trail
anywhere and just camp... that would be easier with the hammock.

I'm a bit concerned by all the "extras" that people seem to be taking
with the hammocks.  Fleece lined reflector pads, etc.  Everything has a
weight.  And then, if I'm on a trail that has shelters, and I think I
might want to use one, I probably need to carry a pad as well.  At least
on the east coast I can always be sure of finding trees.

My question, for ultralight types who use a hammock, is:

	What is the real "trail weight" of the complete
	sleep system (less bag): hammock, pad, "reflector",
	etc.

With a tarp, I'm pretty sure my total weight is well under three pounds:

	Tarp			16 oz?
	Line			2 oz?
	Stakes			3 oz (6 @ 0.5oz)
	Ground sheet		5 oz?
	Ridge Rest pad		11 oz
	Total			@ 2 lb 5 oz

Any thoughts?

-- Jim

On Sun, 2002-04-21 at 06:22, Orange Bug wrote:
<snip>

> documented testosterone poisoning (it already killed my hair) get me
> swinging in a hammock, shivering when I should have been toasty in my
> Nomad although a bit stiff the first night or two? A hammock can pretty
> much set up wherever I find two trees with diameters bit bigger than
> 5-6 inches about 12 feet apart. It does not convert easily to a tent.
>
> The solution to my ambivalence -> weight. The hammock needs webbing /
> tree huggers, truck dashboard shield and a seperate tarp in case of
> rain as my boxer chewed a portion of it. I have an original HH.  These
> serve to get the shelter weight penalty dangerously close to 5 pounds.
>
> My old original Nomad needs a 3/4 UltraGuidelight Thermorest pad, that
> doubles as my Flight 4500 pad around the stays. I've quit using the
> ground cloth/Tyvek thing. It needs 3 tent pegs or so. But it is hard on
> the ground the first 1-2 nights. Obviously, it does not need the
> dashboard shield or tree huggers.

<snip>