[at-l] Hammocks & Weight (was: Gear: Shelter plans for NJ next week)

Jim Mayer wrote:

> My question, for ultralight types who use a hammock, is:
>
> 	What is the real "trail weight" of the complete
> 	sleep system (less bag): hammock, pad, "reflector",
> 	etc.

air

Warm weather:
Hammock - 24 oz
stakes - 1.6 oz  (4)

26 oz

Cold weather:
reflector pad  - 16 oz
either fleece pants or a fleece blanket - ~ 11 oz

53 oz ish

Medium weather:
Z-rest pad, 8 sections, ~ 10 oz  (carried anyway as frame of pack)

36 oz ish

ground

tarp
- 16 oz
stakes  -  3.2 oz  (8)
rope
- 1 oz
bivy
- 7 oz
thermarest 3/4 guidelight 22 oz
     (and my limbs *still* go numb)

49 oz, give or take

For me the hammock works out to be lighter in most situations.  I still
carry the light bivy, since I'll most likely end up sleeping in a
shelter at some point.  I tarp when I'm going to have company.  The
hammock can only accomodate one, and tarp (at 8'x10') fits several
comfortably.  In the spaciousness sense.  Even with the comfier
pad, I don't do as well.

-amy