[at-l] Gear: Shelter plans for NJ next week

The comments about "wimping out" crystallize the problem. I was trying
to decide if the hammock is a toy or a tool. Will my previously
documented testosterone poisoning (it already killed my hair) get me
swinging in a hammock, shivering when I should have been toasty in my
Nomad although a bit stiff the first night or two? A hammock can pretty
much set up wherever I find two trees with diameters bit bigger than
5-6 inches about 12 feet apart. It does not convert easily to a tent.

The solution to my ambivalence -> weight. The hammock needs webbing /
tree huggers, truck dashboard shield and a seperate tarp in case of
rain as my boxer chewed a portion of it. I have an original HH.  These
serve to get the shelter weight penalty dangerously close to 5 pounds.

My old original Nomad needs a 3/4 UltraGuidelight Thermorest pad, that
doubles as my Flight 4500 pad around the stays. I've quit using the
ground cloth/Tyvek thing. It needs 3 tent pegs or so. But it is hard on
the ground the first 1-2 nights. Obviously, it does not need the
dashboard shield or tree huggers.

Then Papa Bear's report reminds me of the AMC Mohican Outdoor Center
for my first night out. $8 gets me a bed/cot for the night. The rest of
the week I will benefit from hiker's exhaustion and can sleep anywhere.
The decreased weight penalty will let me carry a bit more food and
water.

So, the decision is made. I do not plan to "wimp out" and seek
additional blankets or even slackpacking. I must admit that I am
tempted to mail 3 days' food to Mohican and avoid the climb with an
extra 7 pounds out of the DWG. However, it doesn't look nearly as
daunting as the climb out of Fontana.

Gear list is due by end of the day, as well as 4 more charts dictated,
Rotary year plan letter, purchase of a shirt and tie for a Yankee
wedding, and printed copies of the hiking schedule for family and
office.

Bill....