[at-l] Hammocks & Weight (was: Gear: Shelter plans for NJ next week)

> while.  I'm really tempted
> to get a backpacking hammock (probably the
> Hennessey Safari Ultralight
> given my height).  I've been using a tarp for
> some time now, and have
> been pretty happy with it, but I love being able
> to get off the trail
> anywhere and just camp... that would be easier
> with the hammock.

Think about this Jim:  Get a Bana Travel
hammock(www.sportsmansguide.com - $24.95.) and keep your
tarp system.  Just put the hammock up, and tarp over it.
I've done this for years where it's possible.  The Bana
holds 350 pounds, weighs 13 oz, measures 60 by 91 inches,
folds tight, and is waterproof.

I've never had problems using a pad inside the hammock, you
just have to make sure you stay on it - which can sometimes
be tricky.  A wide (28") pad is useful here.  I also find
that the cheap hard (usually blue) pads work better than
those that compress too much.  I haven't needed the pad
until the temp reaches about 40.  I haven't tried the
reflective stuff yet, but if you get too cold, you can
always simply drop the hammock as a ground cloth and use
your system normally.

Having said all this, I still want to try a Hennessy.  The
bug net would be worth it to me...

Shane