Re[2]: [at-l] Cell phone connection availability

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob C." <ellen@clinic.net>
> As I said many days ago, how words are understood is influenced by culture
and
> knowledge of the receiver of those words. Wildness is such a foreign
concept
> these days (Shane thinks he can find it by lying in the grass in his
backyard.
> Rocky thinks it can be found, despite paper mill stench, by not going to
town
> very often) that I've begun to believe, "if you have to ask, you may never
> understand."
>
> Weary

Unfortunately there is no wilderness anymore. Wilderness is a foreign
concept today. Some apparently would have us believe that a path thru few
trees blocking the view of town is wilderness. CPs, radios, shelter angle
feeds, cd players, folks running to hostels and motels every couple days,
hikers, the trail community, and the AT itself all detract from the illusion
of wilderness. Some folks see the things they like as part of the wilderness
as being good while other things are bad. Rather than accept that the things
they like detract from the illusion of wilderness, redefine wilderness to
justify what they like, and condemn what they don't like.
Many years ago a thru hike was very different from what it is today. Sure
some of the first thru's were a challenge to see if it could be done, or to
duplicate and meet the challenge of completing the trail in a year, but
before long it was discovered that a Thru hike  could be a journey of self
discovery and rebirth. An opportunity to live outside for 6 months or so,
and become part of nature. Today a thru hike is more of a bed and breakfast
conquest of the trail, a 2100+ mile hostel marathon.
Today the trail is much closer to wilderness than it was, most of the road
walks are gone ( still have to cross roads LOL), but instead of taking
advantage of the new trail, many run to town every couple of days, and
justify our own desire to leave the woods by quibbling that cell phones
disrupt the illusion of wilderness. Guess today folks want there illusion of
wilderness to come in small managed doses that are to be endured, while
observing nature, rather than becoming part of nature.
Huh go figure!