Re[2]: [at-l] Cell phone connection availability

>   The possibility of instant communication -- or
> the illusion of same --
>   destroys that perception of wildness that is
> the fundamental reason why some
>   go to the woods.

I guess it is about degrees.  It depends on what conditions
you need to feel a sense of wilderness.  Personally, I could
walk out of my rural back door and lay down 25 feet from the
house and feel a sense of wilderness just fine.

For those who are so sensitive that electronic technology
destroys that illusion of wilderness - for illusion it must
be if the perception can be destroyed - I'd think maps would
certainly be more threatening to a 'sense of wilderness'
than a cell phone.

I suppose the fact that the trail itself is, as a matter of
course, artificial would detract from somebody's sense of
wilderness...

I think I'll go boating...

Shane