Re[6]: [at-l] Freeze Dried food questions.

I think I can wind down my posts for this thread.

The low end estimate from Weary sounds doable if you work at it although I
still consider it a bit "Spartan", but to each his own.

There are however several tradeoffs to be aware of.  Some may be due to
going "cheap" and some may be just Weary's preferences.  I not quite sure,
but to spell them out::

Greater weight and bulk: looks like most cheap raw food (rice, pasta,
cheese) comes in around 100 cal/oz.  Good freeze dried food should be up
over 150 cal/oz. (I look carefully at that measure).  This could translate
into 1/2 lb or more per day.  For a 5 day pack of food it gets to be
noticeable.  My own experience with pasta vs. freeze dried equivalent is
it's up to twice as bulky.  Just comparing my 12 oz. box of Ronzoni twists
with my 5.5 oz. package of Chicken with. noodles give me that estimate (not
really much chicken in there you know).

Greater cooking time:  This might be more a function of Weary's experience
and tradition of camp cooking (which I admire) but it looks like the less
processed food (especially rice and pasta) used - which is very cheap -
takes 3 to 4 times the stove time as my freeze dried stuff.  This is from
his numbers.  This can translate into the time it takes to make supper or
breakfast, but more importantly how long your fuel will last.  I use
Iso-butane and a canister should last 150 minutes.  That should do me for 50
days at one use per day, or 25 for two uses.  With Weary's methodology that
would be more like 12/6 days.  A big issue for resupplying.  Cost is not too
big an issue (my fuel canister is around $4.50 - 10 to 20 cents a day).
However I think esbit and alcohol users would have a hard time with 15
minute cooking times for a meal.

But of course Weary uses a wood burning stove which uses a fuel which is
both free and of unlimited availability ...

You know whenever I hear those words "free and of unlimited availability" I
get suspicious.

I'm breaking this off and will start a new thread "Wood stoves: a threat to
the trail?"

See you on the next thread.
Pb