Re[4]: [at-l] Freeze Dried food questions.

"... $4 also seems too low - like you're not counting something (like the costs
of etxra spices....," worries Papa bear.

Generic pasta is 30 cents per 1,000 calories. Generic rice about the same.
Generic oatmeal 50 cents per 1,000 calories. Generic margarine 25 cents.
Powdered milk is around $1 if I remember right. I don't have a package handy to
double check. Generic cheddar cheese runs around $2 per thousand calories.
Raisins $1 per thousand calories. Walnuts $1 per thousand calories. Sugar 20
cents ....

Add salt, pepper, bouillon cubes, a few spices and your food costs run well
under $2. I doubled that to take care of shipping costs, ziplocks and trail
snacks picked up along the way, in an effort to be conservative.

Weary