Re[6]: [at-l] Freeze Dried food questions.

"... what is the food with the lowest cost/calorie ratio?  (In other words, the
cheapest?)" asks Shane.

 Probably pure sugar, though I don't remember what I paid for the five pounds,
 probably around $1, that's in my pantry. I know it was on sale, which is why I
 have an extra package. The package claims more than 5,000 calories. Cheap
 margarine or vegetable oil comes close.

 But the cheapest basic food is almost certainly generic regular cooking pastas
 -- elbows or spaghetti. A pound contains a bit more than 1,600 calories and is
 easily available in supermarkets for 40 cents per pound or less -- or about 25
 cents per thousand calories.

 I think regular white rice in bulk runs around 50 cents a pound and also
 contains around 1,600 calories.

 Weary