[at-l] Dogs And Ticks AT

In a message dated 2/24/02 1:13:25 PM, AThiker@smithville.net writes:

<< Moby had ticks on him when we were done. Lots of
them....little ones. So, global warming is having an
effect/affect on lots of things.

    ***  I also took my dog whenever possible on Trail trips and experienced
the same. On a bad day she would have 20 ticks on her when we got home.
Recently they've developed a tick medicine for dogs that is administered
orally. After using it I found that any tick that managed to attach ended up
shriveled and dead from sucking the tick poison in the dogs system. Another
good deterrent is the Hartz tick spray applied over the fur before going out.
Apply it mostly on the front, sides and legs where they jump on. This spray
is very strong and leaves a nasty chemical residue on your hands after
application. I found it a strong preventative coating for keeping them from
attaching.

     Two days after taking your dog to the AT feel for ticks all throughout
its fur, especially in the head, neck, shoulders, and ears area. For
primitive little parasites, ticks can be intelligent enough to attach near
the head where the dog can't bite them off. If an engorged tick is found,
spray it with the Hartz poison. The tick will die within an hour and can be
tweezered off. Wash hands thoroughly afterwards to prevent direct infection
by contact and to wash off any residual poison...

     Ticks are resilient little buggers and will become active in any season
when it gets warm enough to do so. I once found twenty on my jeans after
taking a shortcut through deer brush...