Re[2]: [at-l] Freeze Dried food questions.

Weary

It's probably my 7th grade math <G> but I can't figure out how any
reasonable hiker could spend $ 40 a day - way too high.  $4 also seems too
low - like you're not counting something (like the costs of etxra spices,
dried milk, cheeses, ziplock bags,  etc. that you just take out of your
frige or off your shelf).

If I use freeze dried supper entrees and regular gorp for lunch and regular
oat meal or grapenuts for breakfast I figure I'm adding max about $2 a day
to my cost.

Good example: Alpine Aire Chicken Gumbo has 1040 cal per package which
weighs 5.5 oz and cost $5.80 from REI (including quantity discount and year
end rebate).  Now that's a nice size dinner - and it's 179 cal. per dollar.
And all the spices, fat, etc. are in there.  Tastes good too - I tried it
(of course YMMV).

Now I was just at the supermarket and a variiety of Lipton meals were 200 -
250 cal per package costing from $.69 to $2.39. That's between 104 cal/$ and
289 cal/$.  Same ballpark. Plus you have to add the spices, instant butter,
etc.

So your numbers don't add up.  Maybe it's my 7th grade math.  But MAYBE it's
not the math but that it's easy to forget all the little odds and ends that
add to the complete cost.

Pb