[at-l] Animals on the trail

Pine Marten in Maine, while southbound in '98. There's no way you'd
see this animal if you don't see them move. I looked up the trail,
saw something small and when I got to the location sat down and
looked up and down the pine trees. Saw the marten, and while watching
it, got my lunch out, ate lunch and then packed up. The marten barely
moved over that period of time.

Faced down a bear that wanted my food bag in PA, a long story, great
memory. I wonder if I was brave or foolish. In 2000 near Peter's
Mountain.

Most mystical animal experience, I saw a mountain lion (no kidding)
while descending the road from Wood's Hole near Pearisburg, VA. I was
so awed by the experience I went in to the local country store and
told some locals, they tried to talk me out of it since I was
obviously from the North. But having seen bobcat and lynx (in Nova
Scotia) I made a positive ID. As I walked down the road the cat
emerged from the right side, bounded (in 2 leaps) across the road and
into the woods on my left. The distance was over 100 feet away, but I
was looking straight ahead when he came out of the woods. Could've
been an escaped pet I guess, but what a wonderful experience.

--
Arthur D. Gaudet        	"Is walking down called hiking, too?"
(RockDancer) 	                 -heard at the top of Mt Washington, NH