Bags....was Re: [at-l] ummm

----- Original Message -----
From: kahley <kahley7@ptd.net>
To: Dave Hicks <daveh@psknet.com>; <at-l@backcountry.net>
Sent: Sunday, August 12, 2001 8:00 PM
Subject: Re: Bags....was Re: [at-l] ummm

SNIP
> Oh darn.....have you tried it Chainsaw?  I mean actually tried a top bag?
See,
> my theory stems from never being able  to managed to tolerate a mummy bag
SNIP

I never took one out of the store.  The mummy style required that you sleep
on your back.  The other was a very large rectangular synthetic, which I
think they were trying to get the weight down to something reasonable.

SNIP
> The only thing that is holding me back is the rectangular shape of
sleeping
> pads.
> I figure on using a three quarters length but if there is no insulation
> under my feet,
> it's gonna be frosty.  I could cut/shape a CC pad of course, but I prefer
> the inflatables.
SNIP

I know some folk sleep with their feet elevated on their packs, for fluid
reduction reasons.  Maybe, there is a solution to your frosty feet buried in
that idea, somewhere.

I know others who use a sleep quilt -- by itself in warmer weather and over
a lighter rated bag than the actual weather in the winter.  You might be
over engineering your solution.

Chainsaw