Bags....was Re: [at-l] ummm

At 07:45 PM 8/11/01 -0400, Scott Perry wrote:

>I have yet to find a sleeping bag I like...
>
>At 6'2" and 250 lbs I feel like a large PB&J shoved in a Glad bag, and I
>just ooze out the sides.

You have a way with word images, <grin>
Here is a nifty chart that shows some light weight options.
http://backcountrygear.com/catalog/bagtable.cfm

Western Mountaineering makes a couple of big bags as does Marmot.
Another option and one I'm seriously considering, is a top bag.
The theory is that since any insulation which lies beneath the weight
of your bod is compressed to near useless insulating capability,
why waste weight, or pack space (or money) on it.  Since the insulation
beneath the bod comes chiefly from the sleeping pad, a top bag doesn't
waste feathers there  The problem is how to assure the quilt, pad and sleeper
stay together enough to stay warm.  The system I'm considering is heavier
than that favored by the ultrlight crowd (such being tied to/beneath the
pad with
straps).  I'm looking at a double layer of silnylon which forms a 'pocket' into
which I slide my pad.  Above me would be the top half of a traditional
sleeping bag
design, sewed fast to one side and zippered to the other. Sooooo..I'd get
whatever
room I decide I want and lots of insulation on the top of me, where it does
the
most good and almost half the weight of a traditional bag....
My other consideration would be an extension of Weary's theory of routinely
using a down jacket to extend the range of the bag.  Except I'd use it to
extend
the bag itself.  The bag would be very short...coming up only to chest high and
I'd use the jacket for the other half.  That's a duel use for the warm
jacket that
I just can't seem to leave behind as well as a considerable reduction in bag
weight.