Bags....was Re: [at-l] ummm

At 07:13 PM 8/12/01 -0500, Dave Hicks wrote:

>You may have included the "side-sleepers" issue in your idea "The problem is
>how to assure the quilt, pad and sleeper stay together enough to stay warm."

Oh darn.....have you tried it Chainsaw?  I mean actually tried a top bag?  See,
my theory stems from never being able  to managed to tolerate a mummy bag.
I'm a semi rec type, so I am not at all tied to the idea of
turning_with_the bag but
am used to turning within it.  I must admit that this is a skill learned by
sharing
the covers with a cover hog.  There is never sufficient blanket to let me
roll with
it but rather roll under it.   And since I like to occasional pop my arms
out the
top of my bag means I don't like hoods....preferring ballies and
scarves.  Given
these preferences, I really think I can sleep quite happily on my side and
spin within.

The only thing that is holding me back is the rectangular shape of sleeping
pads.
I figure on using a three quarters length but if there is no insulation
under my feet,
it's gonna be frosty.  I could cut/shape a CC pad of course, but I prefer
the inflatables.
So I'm thinking the very bottom of the top bag would have to also have a bottom
in addition to the top in order to prevent toesicles.  The whole theroy of
compressed
bottom insulation isn't as strong in the foot area anyway because the feet
don't weigh
much and what weight there is, is concentrated as far as impact.compact.

I'm not explaining this well....A real bag bottom, up to the knees at which
point,
the bottom is replaced with the pocket containing the thermarest up to
about ear
level when I am stretched full out.  A drawstring at the top to cinch it
tight around
my neck when conditions demand.

Now all I need to do is to find someone to build the darn thing.....

multipart/mixed
---