[at-l] The Truth

In a message dated 8/10/01 7:01:08 AM Eastern Daylight Time, kahley7@ptd.net
writes:

<< The only thing that keeps your meaning from being understood is
 that you don't seem to be able to explain yourself in a clear manner.
 Trying to blame it on any other reason is a cop out....

    I think it is interesting that Kahley writes in a previous post that she
is "more tolerant to posts that are strictly designed to aim at the heart as
flames" and then proceeds in the next post to aim a flame at the heart
herself. To others who simply see this thread as "bickering", I can't share
in your apparent belief that an AT list should remain a place free from
controversy and be completely serving to your need for 'pleasantness'. The
world doesn't work that way, nor should the AT. If this site seeks to avoid
any kind of Trail conflict it should state so up front and simply exclude any
serious Trail topics. If not, it should open up and respect posts that many
Trail involved people of credibility and concern consider important to
themselves and the Trail. I'm not the only one to say this.

    If this was truly the problem, and my words were that confusing, I would
suspect some of these critics would at least highlight something and ask for
clarification or at least involve some substantial content. No, that doesn't
happen because the real cop*out happening here is the avoidance of going back
to what they know I was saying and facing it. M. Fuller managed, so did
Addleton off*list, and, in his infinitely questioning way, Jim did too. He
did so off list because he was afraid of the ongoing pressure (which is
clearly represented above) to put down and chase away any topic which
suggests that certain behaviors or attitudes are identifiable as being
contrary to the Trail. Compounding this is a contemporary fad of cyber
community with all its rules and expectations of conformity. Look, this site,
as far as I can see it, is the most active AT site on the net. Whether you
believe it or not, this site will form attitudes and views that will then
return to the Trail. This process of shedding any accurate reflection of
Trail conflicts or problems by means of the expectation of superficial chat
room rules will only send people back to the Trail with a less than positive
influence for long term Trail advocacy. I worry about that when I see
attempts of Trail connected persons to express Trail imperatives met with
freely encouraged derision. The net possesses great potential for Trail
organization and advocacy. I hate to see it abused by posters like Steve
Landis and others who seem to prefer see it as a whipping post when more
substantive uses are available.

    Why Weary chooses to call my posts inarticulate when so much is at stake
I don't know. But even if they are, I think it was what I was aiming at that
is more important than being bullied over form. That is obviously a crack
these detractors are working to try and break my intent. Focusing on what
words I use to deny their content is a straw that won't hold the weight of
what I said. Again, these people deny that they try to push serious AT topics
off the board, and on the next turn do exactly that. An ATL poster wrote me
telling me my message was clear to him and that I should ignore posts like
the above because they are simply motivated by anti*WF feelings.

    If you need any of the above explained I would be glad to do so.

 <You say we can't understand you because we hate dan, yet we
 have noooo problem understanding his positions and writings.
 Why do you think the "dan factor" doesn't preclude our comprehension
 of_his_writing yet it does for yours?>

   *** This is childish.

   *** Addleton wrote me saying that ATL in no way was to be compared to the
AT and I was out of line in expecting it to be. Dan, I feel, at least makes
an attempt in the right direction. His main fault is reacting to deliberate
anti*intellectual feedback in an annihilating way. If list users push an
uncooperative attitude towards Trail advocacy, then where are we left when it
comes time to respond? HYOH? That isn't specific enough!

    But, really, your remark here is more like an adolescent comeback than
something deserving response vs what I wrote.

 <And this refrain of 'ya'll are mean to me cause you hate dan'  is getting
 really old.
 In part, because most of us don't hate dan and in part because you bring your
 treatment on yourself.  dan has many faults and but being responsible for
your
 lack of  socializing  or communication skills is not one of them.

     *** This is utter nonsense and is only an undignified flame. If this is
how you interpret what I wrote, it isn't me who isn't getting it. If you
would like to ask me something about my views I would be glad to respond.

 BTW....did you know that my Eudora spellchecker always wants to change
 RoksnRoots to restrooms?   Go figure.....

     *** Kahley * obviously feeling that it is safe here to steer the
conversation towards witty comebacks, personal attacks, and ridicule in lieu
of responding respectfully, or to the subject matter at hand.

    Dan has nothing to do with this.