[at-l] mail drops schedule comments...

Hi all,

Just wanted to make a general comments about figuring out resupply in the
Whites...

The Whites are the last place I would suggest carrying large loads.  A lot
of thruhikers tend to see the distances to town as large so they forego
resupply and carry a lot more food than necessary.  While the distances are
certainly greater to the towns, it is still only one hitch each way and
almost all of the cars that pass you will be going all the way to that town
(or past the trailhead on the way out of town).

As such, even though it's only a couple of days between Gorham and Pinkham
Notch, I wouldn't carry more than two days of food for that stretch.  Also,
I would plan on a hitch to Bartlett from Crawford Notch.  That way, you can
jut enjoy the scenery more without laboring so hard in the difficult
terrain.  Franconia Notch is a little more tricky but if you can get a ride
to N. Woodstock, getting a ride back is usually pretty easy.  The hitch from
Kinsman Notch to N. Woodstock (or Lincoln) is also pretty easy.

Many of these hitches aren't even hitches.  The trailheads are popular and
chances are you'll meet someone there (or on the trail) who will offer you a
ride.  Just strike up a conversation.

A couple of other things to remember, you might want to carry fewer snacks,
too.  The huts offer leftovers for $1 AYCE.  You can't really rely on them
though.  But, if you get stuck, the huts also sell some snack items like
Snickers and GORP.  (A bit more expensive than in town but remember, they
were carried up on a croo member's back.)  Mt. Washington has a cafeteria on
top which is certainly good for at least a lunch.

Hoep this helps...

Mara
Stitches, GAME99

P.S.  Check your Gorham zip - there's an extra digit in there...  -MF