Re: [at-l] Georgia On My Mind

>    About this time every year I remember back when I was on the trail
>in the South. The hills, the enchanting scenery and of course,all the
>great food at the AYCE's!! Does anyone have a good (and half way
>healthy) recipes for Hushpuppies & Cornbread? Up here in PA, few people
>know what I'm talking about when I mention these regional delicacies?
>Any of one from the south (or know how to cook Southern food) can help
>me out?
>
>Mother Natures Son

I don't know about the other Southerners on this list (we're adopted
Southerners, BTW), but the best recipe that we have found for cornbread
comes from Julia Child, of all people. (The Godess of the Kitchen.) It's
called 'box top cornbread', and it's in her book, The Way to Cook. It is a
dense cornbread, not sweet, and wonderful fresh out of the oven with butter.

My wife makes a delicious spoonbread, which is a kind of cornbread souflee,
with lots of eggs, but I don't know if she has a recipe other than what's
in her head.

As for hushpuppies, the best are found in Piedmont North Carolina, at
Lexington-style barbecue restaurants. Savory, with onions, crisp on the
outside and heavenly soft inside, served with 'dip', as bbq sauce is known
hereabouts. Wow. These are in no way good for you, nor can they be made any
healthier. Sorry.

Lexington Barbecue, off I-85 in Lexington, NC. Little Richard's in
Winston-Salem (the original on Country Club Road). Stamey's in Greensboro.
If you go any farther east than that, you start running into Wilson-style
Eastern NC barbecue, which is quite good, though very different, and the
hushpuppies are sweet and chewy and served with melted butter. Must be all
the Yankees moving there. <g>

(I have a personal quest to eat in every single barbecue joint in North
Carolina. It's a tough job, but somebody has to do it.)

Cheers,

Ken