Re: [at-l] Georgia On My Mind

I asked my wife for the recipes of two kinds I like the best. I hope you
like them as well.  Hopeful

First, she says you need a big iron skillet to really do it right. If you
don't have an iron skillet then she says a 9 inch by 9 inch by 2 inch
deep pan will do. Oh yes, she says don't substitute any kind of meal for
the self rising sort because it already has stuff like soda and salt
mixed in.

Traditional cornbread ( at our house that is)
2 cups of self rising corn meal
1/4 cup of oil
2 eggs
1 cup of whole milk, 2% will work but don't use skim milk.
mix all this together real well.
oil up the skillet with about 2 table spoons of oil, then heat the
skillet til the oil just starts to sizzle.
dump the mix into the hot skillet and put it in the oven at 425*F
cook about 10 - 15 minutes, the bread will start to pull away from the
side of the pan or skillet.

Fancy cornbread (This kind is very moist, almost like a corn pudding but
not quite.)
1 cup of self rising corn meal
1 cup of cream style corn (there is about 2 cups of corn in a can so you
can make two pones)
1/2 cup of oil
2 eggs
1 cup of sour cream
mix all this together real well
oil up the skillet  with about 2 table spoons of oil but don't heat the
skillet like in the traditional corn bread

put it in the oven at 350*F to 400*F for 20 to 30 minute. Diana says it
depends on where you live. Anyway, when it's done you can poke it with a
knife and nothing sticks to the knife when you pull it out.

If you like more spicy stuff, add onions, green peppers and hot pepper to
the mix. It gives it what we call a Mexican flavor. I have no idea if
real Mexican bread is like this.
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.