[pct-l] That drift box is a darn good idea ...

On Fri, 20 Mar 1998 15:46:58 -0600 (CST) radney wrote: ...

>As to the drift box, we sent ourselves a drift box about every other mail
>pickup.  , t-shirts & shorts so we could wash our clothes, ...

This sure seems like a good idea to me.  A couple of years ago I was
Southbound on the JMT/PCT and stopped in Mammoth Lakes to resupply and
to do my laundry at a public laundromat.  I put everthing in the washer
except my double walled nylon Reebok hiking shorts.  So, as I sat there
in the laundromat, with nothing on except my Reebok hiking shorts, this
'ole cowboy that seemed to be in charge of the place comes over to talk
to me ... say he, "A few weeks ago we had us a drifter come in to town
to this here laundromat plum naked, streaking for fun.  Well now he's
back to see the judge about that incident."  Then the cowboy pulled out
a box of snuff, took dip, looked at me carefully and said, "You aint
quite in that same situation, but your awfully close."  He turned around
and went back to the other end of the room to watch his TV.

I never felt so naked in my life.  As soon as the washer stopped, I
pulled out my damp but almost dry Coolmax t-shirt and put it on.  I
finished my laundry without incident, but having an extra t-shirt and
shorts would have been very useful in a drift box.

Ernest Chavez

--

ps: Angels fly because they take themselves lightly ...