Re: [pct-l] Skeeters and trips

Hi Dave,

On 02/05/98 10:43:19 you wrote:

>Re mosquitos on the trail (especially Sierra section):
>
>1.  Did you see any mosquitos at any place that you were sure was far from
>any water?  Or was there water everywhere or ???

We encountered mosquitos almost everywhere, including the high passes! Since
you walk on snow or ice in most of the passes and around glaciar lakes or
alongside raging stream most of the time, it is hard to find a place where
they aren't. Walt thought mosquitos must have mated and then laid their eggs
in the snow where the sun warmed the eggs so they hatched making for a
continual cycle of mosquitos!  We ate and pitched camp as high and far away
from water and snow as possible -- not always easy.  Most of the time we
slept with both of our packs in the tent.  We would eat breakfast in the
tent (or mix up an instant breakfast to drink as we hiked) and then pack
everything up so we could rush out and get the tent packed quickly.

>2.  In my experience (with the exception of a rain forest walk on St. John,
>USVI) I have not seen many mosquitos except between 6PM-9PM.  In USVI it's
>a 24 hour a day (and night) problem.   Do the Sierra mosquitos prefer the
>evening hours?   How strongly?

  It didn't make any difference what time we left or pitched our tent, the
mosquitos didn't seem to mind the cold early mornings or late nights -- they
were a constant annoyance!

>Re great trips:

Buy good netting or a netted hat that goes below your neck!  We tried a bug
shirt from Camphmoor but it was too scratchy.  Found a softer weave netting
in Tulomne and sent the shirt back.  Even a call to nature became a chore--
wearing a poncho to cut down the number was hard and not too successful --
very awkward!  Wear supplex shirts (long sleeved) and pants, their weave is
tighter and the bugs may land but can't bite.  Citronella oil in an ahloa
vera lotion worked very well -- Skin-So-Soft doesn't have enough citronella,
but we added more and this worked much better too (our hat rims weren't big
enough and our ears got sunburned.  Make sure your ears and neck are
covered-- chin too -- snow reflects the sun!  Bug hats were great but during
dawn and dusk the netting limited or obstructed our vision.  We learned to
drink and eat with our hats on and while on the go (standing still or going
slow seemed to invite them to land) -- mosquitos don't taste bad, it's their
swarming and trying to get into eyes, nose, mouth and ears that is so
frustrating.  Walt and I wished we had the netted hats even in the desert
because of the "no-seeums" ( they got in our nose, ears, eyes and mouth --
we called them orafus bugs) and flies --they bit hard and left welts! We
didn't have that many mosquito bites, but they were extremely annoying and
drove lots of us crazy and hating the hike!

Happy Trails -- Pat