[pct-l] Re: more questions!?! CORRECTION!

>The "calories" in physics are actually kilocalories.
>That is, one physics calorie = 1000 nutrition calories.

Oops, that's backwards - the calories in *nutrition* are actually
kilocalories, 1000 physics calories = 1000 nutrition calories.

The problem with physics calculations of energy for going up hills is that
they don't take into account the other "work" your body does - keeping in
balance, digesting and such, etc, and the fact that you're not a perfect
energy conversion machine.  I read just the other day that an hour of going
uphill with a backpack (?didn't say how heavy) uses more energy than an hour
of most other activities - I think it was around 500 calories (nutrition)
per hour.

Sorry for the error.

Karen

Karen Elder