Re: [pct-l] more questions!?!

Hi, Sasha,

>How do I decide how much food I am going to need? I could do a calorie
>thing, but the freeze dried stuff I looked at didn't have nutritional
>information on the package (I thought they had to do that...) so I can't
>figure out how many calories are in the meals.

Hmmm, I believe you can get calorie info from the companies who make the
stuff - write or call, or check the web.

>If I make my own stuff, I
>don't have a clue how to figure it out either. I am planning on taking a
>lot of corn pasta, since that is supposed to be the best food for long
>distance hiking, but the store here that sells it in bulk doesn't have
>any labels on the bins. How many cals in corn pasta?

A bit tricky, but the USDA puts out a calorie book of foods in general.

>I read in a diet book that walking one mile takes 100cal. But what about
>with a pack on? What do hills do? From physics I figured out the
>potential energy required to go up 1000 feet, but it doesn't seem nearly
>enough, so I must be making a mistake.

The "calories" in physics are actually kilocalories. That is, one physics
calorie = 1000 nutrition calories.

>If I can't figure out how many cals in the food, and how many cals I'll
>need on the trail, how am I supposed to figure this out?
>Am totally on the wrong track? Is there an easier way to figure out how
>much food to pack?!?!

Okay, you'll probably need 2 to 3 times as much food as you ordinarily eat,
according to what most people say (4000 - 6000 calories).  When I hiked the
John Muir Trail, it seemed to me that the lower figure was better in the
short run, but I did lose 5 or 10 pounds.  If you have some spare weight on
your body, start low on the calories (only twice as much as normal); if
you're slender, start higher.

I've also read that you need 2 pounds of food a day. From my JMT experience,
I think that's normal food weight; for dehydrated stuff, figure somewhat
less than half that weight (but remember that your munchies (candy and
stuff) will be at "regular" food weight).  I think I had about 30 pounds of
food for 24 days on the JMT, with some left over.

>I just don't want to run out of food in the middle of nowhere. Maybe I
>should just put too much in the boxes and throw away what I don't use,
>but I can't really afford that either.

Well, let's hope your support person/people can respond to your needs.  If
you have too much, have them take some out of your resupply boxes; too
little, add to them.

Good luck.

Karen

Karen Elder