[pct-l] re: umbrellas

I had read various opionions on Jardine's use of an umbrella. I grew-up in
Southern California backpacking with a group of men who all made their own
custom gear, be it tents, packs or whatever. None where afraid to try new
ideas. In one case, it was profitable, as one individual started-up (and
later sold) Adventure 16 Outfitters, with his popular hip-hugger backpack
(the precursor to the older Jansport frame pack designs).
    One individual for years had used an umbrella. His had the vertical
shaft shortened and rigged in a manner that could be attached to a modified
lightweight camera tripod swivel mount, attached to the frame of his pack.
His later purchase of a Gregory internal frame pack didn't stop the use of
the umbrella, as he found a way to attach to the aluminum stays. He used the
umbrella to shade him from the sun on our desert hikes, and afford
protection from rain in the Sierra and local mountains. It looked odd, but
now that I'm living in an area that gets a lot of rain, everytime I pull-out
my umbrella on the way to work, I'm reminded that he and Jardine were onto
something.
   As Jardine mentioned, there are times when an umbrella won't work. Having
just finished Jardine's book, I'm dashing out and buying one to modify. I
came across a Totes umbrella in Forest green that matches my pack!

Ken Marlow