[pct-l] Snow conditions in Angeles Crest

 THRU-HIKERS PLEASE
 use the ALT route @ Vincent Gap, down the "High Desert Trail"/Manzanita
 Trail to South Fork Cpgd  then either South Fork Trail to Islip Saddle OR
 continue on the HDT to Cooper Cyn over Burkhart Saddle.

 I hiked the Mazanita segment on 05/29 and flagged the trailhead and a
couple
 crossings with pink flagging tape

 The distance and elevation gain is less than Baden-Powell, there is plenty
 of water too! Lots of interesting rock formations, flowers, huge piles of
 snow in avalanche zones, white water creeks! well worth it.

http://pctmap.homeip.net/data/pct/Maps/PCT%20D3%20MT%20BADEN-POWELL%2004-21-2005.pdf

 We've most likely already had one tragedy, let's not make it more

 Sincerly
 Matt "Trail90" Maxon

PCT
> from there to Vincent Gap. We then got off the PCT and did a road walk to
> Islip Saddle due to snow conditions on Baden Powell. We had been told that
> many thru- hikers had been turned back by the road crews and therefore
were
> doing the road walk at night. We did not run into any road crew but the
road
> was covered in snow for about half of the 20 mile stretch, some avalanche
> shoots had about 20-25 ft of snow and trees. We spent the night at Eagles
> Roost Picnic area and got back on the PCT at that point the next day. We
> talked to several thru hikers at Eagles Roost after they got in after dark
> who said that Baden-powell was still snowed in.  They had no crampons or
ice
> axe. One of them said he slid about 300 ft down at one point and was using
> his hand and feet to try and stop his descent, to no avail. He slid into a
> boulder and his one leg caught on it as his other one went past. It
stopped
> him before he would have gone over a 1000 ft cliff. He continued on but
was
> shaken. They all said that navigation was difficult .
>
> >From Eagles Roost Picnic area the PCT was clear of snow.
>
> By the way, I had to get off the PCT at Cloudburst Summit due to a knee
> injury. I was lucky to hitch a ride about 40-50 miles from there to
Glendale