[pct-l] lightweight packs and bear canisters

There is a Yosemite food storage map at http://www.nps.gov/yose/wilderness/bfoodstorage.gif.

The map shows where bear cannisters are required or where food can be stored in a Bear Box.  The nearest point from Toulumne Meadows north to where a bear box is available would be the High Sierra Camp at Glen Aluin which is about 7 miles away.  The nearest point beyond Glen Aluin whre a bear cannister is not required is Matterhorn Canyon, which is about 20 miles from Tuolumne

According to the Yosemite regulations, you can transport food through the area with out using a Bear Cannister, but cannot camp in in the restricted areas unless your food is in a cannister.  I do not plan to carry a cannister north of Tuolumne meadows but will make certain that I reach Matterhorn Canyon before camping.