FW: Re: [pct-l] lightweight packs and bear canisters

> Hi Matt
> Seven miles means no ticket as long as I don't camp within the seven
miles north on the store/post office.  There are bear boxes in the
campground right there, so you don't have to pack out as soon as you mail
your cannister.  (Cheap hiker camping with showers) We just threw postage
and a little tape on my canister and...done.
> I used a Granite Gear Vapor Trail with the Bear Vault last year.  Two
pounds, $150, REI. A little difficult to pack balance until I ate some food
and put gear in the canister along with the food.  Took a bad spill off a
log into a stream and the canister kept my sleeping bag dry and saved my
head and shoulders from the rocks below.  Near 30 pounds the Vapor Trail
started pulling away from my back.  Under 30 it's a great pack.
> I just ordered a G-5 pack from Gossamer Gear.  I ordered it with a little
stronger material than the spincloth they normally use and a pocket setup a
touch better than the Breeze.  It flares out at the bottom and can hold a
bear canister.  I may have added 2-4 ounces in alterations from the
original design so mine might weigh 10-12 ounces. (8 oz. without changes.)
I may decide by the time I reach Tehachappi to use it for the High Sierras.
> The spincloth G5 is not reccomended for over 1000 miles or 50 nights.
Heavier material?
> David from Australia, on this list and hiking this year, has the
Gossamergear Mairposa.  I saw one yesterday.  Bigger and cushier belt and
waist belt.  About a pound.  Same weight as my Breeze before the belt.

> There's a lot of ultralight genius on this site.
http://www.gossamergear.com  (check out the Spinshelter and the Spintwin
too).  I've met the owners Glen and Mike.  Nice people(Hikers) and easy to
trust.  They'll be at the KickOff with gear.  Some for sale there.