[pct-l] Is Pocketmail "semi obscure?" -- was: New On-TrailList?

At 04:09 PM 4/11/02, Ronald Moak wrote:
>How large a percentage used pocketmail? I'd guess between 25% to 40%.
>Virtually everyone I was hiking with either carried one or used a friends
>device. My on pocketmail device probably got more use by others than by
>myself.

"Virtually everyone" sounds a lot like "most" so Ron's observations
disagrees with Paul's belief.

All tech bashing aside, someone on a long trip away from home LIKES to keep
in touch with friends and family. Email is one more way to keep in
touch.  I know my priority in town was "food - phone - food -post office -
food -shower." Talking with family came before everything but eating
(unless it was near PO closing time.) The pocket mail is just another way
of keeping in touch, plus is keeps your journal.

I attend some classes at a local community college, and almost every
student (but me) has a cell phone. College students today are used to be
constantly in contact. That is NOT going to change on the trail......

Since many thru hikers are young, so I'd expect more communication toys on
the trail...

--
Brick Robbins                       mailto:brick@fastpack.com